ACCOBAMS-GFCM Project on mitigating interactions between endangered marine species and fishing activities (2015-2017)
This project is coordinated by the Secretariats of ACCOBAMS and of the General Fisheries Commission for the Mediterranean (GFCM), in collaboration with the RAC/SPA (Regional Activity Center for Specially Protected Areas).
It is funded by the MAVA Foundation.
The main objectives of the project are:
1) to enhance the conservation of cetaceans, sea turtles and seabirds, in particular by mitigating interactions with fisheries, considering both incidental catches and depredation issues;
2) to increase the awareness of national authorities, fishers and civil society and to demonstrate that economic incomes of fishers could be diversified through association of traditional fishing with ecotourism-oriented activities such as observation of wild marine fauna.
The first component of the project is implemented by relevant national institutions and NGOs through the development of six pilot actions in selected fisheries of the Central and Western Mediterranean Sea (i.e. France, Spain, Morocco, Tunisia, Algeria) aiming at identifying the nature of such interactions and at testing mitigations measures:
A preliminary study on the occurrence and extent of incidental catches of cetaceans and depredation events in Algerian fisheries is also being developed by CNRDPA.
Read more about the pilot actions. [here]
The second component of the project aims at supporting the development of sustainable ecotourism activities based on the link between traditional fishing and the observation of marine fauna according to international standards that prevent disruption and harassment of the animals.
This would place fishers in the role of responsible actors and "ambassadors" of the seas.
In order to ensure wide dissemination of project results and lessons learnt, a third project component includes communication, capitalization of results and knowledge sharing.
Report of the Kick-off meeting (07-08 April, 2015 Tunis, Tunisia) [here]
Report of the Training workshop on technical measures to mitigate interactions of endangered species with fisheries and to reduce post-capture mortality (14-16 September, 2015 Barcelona, Spain) [here]
Access the Project Workspace [Pilot actions’ coordinators only]
- ALNITAK Marine Research and Education center (Spain)
- Centre d’Etudes et de Sauvegarde des Tortues Marines de Méditerranée – CestMed (France)
- Centre National de Recherche et de Développement de la Pêche et de l'Aquaculture – CNRDPA (Algeria)
- Instituto Español de Oceanografía – IEO (Spain)
- Institut National des Sciences et Technologies de la Mer - INSTM (Tunisia)
- Institut National de Recherche Halieutique – INRH (Morocco)